GALLERY OF MODERN ART
The GMA was founded in 1953 as the Regional Gallery of the then Hradec Králové Region. In the first years of its existence it was based in the castle in Rychnov nad Kněžnou, in the spring of 1963 it returned to Hradec Králové, where it used two wings of the bishop’s residence in Large Square for its activities. At that time it was renamed the District Gallery and subsequently the Regional Gallery (1963-1990). The Gallery of Modern Art in Hradec Králové got its permanent home and its current name in January 1990, when it moved to the former building of the Credit Union, replacing the just closed Museum of Revolutionary Traditions of the Eastern Bohemian Region, which opened in 1988.
The Gallery’s collections follow the development of Czech modern art from the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries to the present day. Since 2008, the GMA has been managing not only the collection of the Gallery of Modern Art in Hradec Králové, but also other collections of artworks – the collection of the Vladimír Preclík Gallery and the 21st century Way of the Cross consisting of the sculptural cycle The Story of Suffering and the Hope of Man, accessible in the open air in the meadows between Stanovice and Žireč, near Kuks. In addition, two entirely new collections were established in 2019 – the Moving Image Collection and the Central and Eastern Europe Collection.