CATHEDRAL OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
The main church of the Hradec Králové Diocese
The majestic Gothic brick building of the Cathedral Church of the Holy Spirit was founded in 1307 by Queen Elizabeth Richeza of Poland. The rectangular triple nave of the original basilica with a presbytery and towers was probably built before the fire in 1339. After the fire, the towers were completely repaired and the so-called Royal Antechamber with an adjacent sacristy was built. In 1788-89, Baroque modifications were made to the church, and a century later the architect F. Schmoranz undertook elaborate alterations in a pseudo-Gothic style.